Saturday, September 1, 2012

September 1

Well, I have to say that the first day of this challenge was not exactly a smashing success. There's such a huge difference between being pregnant and hungry and not-pregnant and hungry. I think my routines will prove much harder to break than ever before, and I might just decide not to break some of them at all.

Like every other Saturday, I was up today at 5am and on my way to work by 5:30. Since not eating before work isn't an option, I had what has become my regular breakfast: granola, slivered almonds, and a sliced peach (a local peach at least).  I think that I will have to make an exception for nuts. The protein is just too good, and though I love local Hickory nuts, the $24 per pound price tag is just too much for me this year.

What a way to start a challenge, with an exception!

Day-old bakery has become the bane of my existence. Almost every day there is an assortment of free baked goods just calling my name and it seems almost impossible for me to resist. Today with my cup of tea (fair trade Earl Grey because the week long headache that comes with caffeine withdrawal on top of pregnancy symptoms is just not an option), I had some sort of pear almond tart thing and later in the morning I guiltily cut myself a quarter of a banana cupcake with lots of frosting. This is one thing that has really got to stop with this challenge.

Lunch was a salad (mostly local, but not entirely) from the salad bar. A little planning ahead and I should be able to do a better job at lunch. We have local salad mix in the produce department, and lots of things to go on it. Yogurt is also a good choice with maybe some nuts and fruit..... or bringing leftovers from home cooked locavore meals.

I redeemed myself with dinner. After coming home, I took a 2 hour nap and used my refreshed energy to walk to the community garden and dig a few potatoes and pull a few onions. I cooked these in chicken stock I had made earlier in the week, fresh picked garden kale, and Cottage Bacon from Willow Creek Farm. A little Cider vinegar and salt, and I had a wonderful locavore soup.

So what exactly is my challenge this year? I think I can call is "Extreme". All local, with a few exceptions: nuts, black tea, vinegar, lemons and limes, spices and of course the rennet, vitamin D, yogurt culture, and salt found in most dairy products and cured meats. I will also give myself free reign on the things I already have in my pantry. There's no sense in wasting food just to prove the point.


No comments:

Post a Comment