Friday, September 21, 2012

Growth Spurt

I couldn't help but take this picture today as I was making dinner. I grew these little darlings! It continues to amaze me how much food I'm getting out of the garden for how little energy I put in this year. It's been wonderful.


I've been feeling hugely pregnant these last few days. It's seemed like I have weeks of stasis, and then all of a sudden, huge growth spurts - this week has been one of those. The baby has been quite active, and in a different way that he was before. He's way more like a big fish flopping around inside me than the little thumper he once was.

Most, but not all of that energy in my womb is coming from the fields and gardens of Wisconsin. I've not been perfect these last few days, and the heartburn and other digestive maladies have been popping up as a result. It's both annoying and kinda cool how pregnancy has amplified the connection between what I eat and how I feel.

Yesterday, breakfast was almost non-existent. I ate some fruit at work, and since I didn't have anything else I gave into muffin from the day old bakery. Not a good idea. Luckily, I had some leftover potatosagna that I'd brought for lunch.

Stanley wanted to take me out for dinner, so we tried The Greenbush Bar, which does feature some locally grown ingredients. Though the conversation was stellar, the food was not. We had cheese bread (aka lots of white flour with a little cheese), and pizza (more white flour with cheese). Why must Italian food be so heavy on the refined carbs? Some of the best flavor combinations come from Italy, but they all seem to be combined with white flour.... it's a shame. My body has become unaccustomed to large loads of white flour, and it did not react well. The heartburn lasted well into today.

Today was a better day. I had an apple and some yogurt with a handful of walnuts and a drizzle of maple syrup for breakfast. More fruit throughout the morning, and then for lunch I microwaved some potatoes and ate them with aged Gouda and lots of butter.

It's been getting really chilly outside, so I was eager to turn on the oven when I got home from work. I worked early, so lucky me, I had time to take a nap and roast a chicken. Such luxury! I pulled some carrots from the garden, and cut our last head of broccoli. Roast chicken, steamed vegetables, and I made some quick whole wheat biscuits to complete the meal. Yes, the biscuits were more like hockey pucks than the light flaky things my home ec teacher taught me to make, but whatever.... they still tasted good. I made a lot so hopefully I can bring some to work and they will help me resist that darn day-old bakery!

No comments:

Post a Comment