Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Feeling Good

One thing about pregnancy - it's a complete roller coaster. There have been plenty of times that I've felt terrible: low energy, heartburn and other unpleasant digestive symptoms (don't worry, I won't go into detail!), headaches, backaches.... it seems like every week there's something else to complain about.

There are other times that I feel just fine - good in fact. This is one of those times. The past two days have been the first in a long time that I haven't felt any twinges of heartburn or discomfort at all, and I have to assume that it has something to do with my diet.

These last two days have been as close to 100% local as I could ask for. Breakfasts have been the same as usual: peaches, milk, slivered almonds, and a little maple syrup. Today I added two fried eggs to put some extra protein in the mix. Yesterday I had a big tub of cottage cheese and a few heirloom tomatoes for lunch, today it was the last of the potato kale soup that I made last week.

Dinner last night was a special one. My stepson was turning 5, and had requested breakfast for dinner - his favorite. For he and his Dad I made chocolate chip pancakes with local whole wheat flour, eggs, milk, and butter. Of course the chocolate chips were not local, so I left them out of my pancakes. Baking powder was the only thing that missed the local boat - I think I will add leavening to my list of exceptions. With the pancakes we had some fruit (local apples and peaches for me), and of course bacon.

Dinner tonight was a little bit of a fail, but not bad. I had a prenatal yoga class directly after work, so by the time I got home I was famished and in no mood to cook or wait for Stanley to cook. We ended up at the Alchemy - a local restaurant that serves quite a bit of locally grown food. Local chicken wings as an appetizer and a local burger (no bun) with cheese and a salad (not local, unfortunately) for dinner. I needed the protein - immediately after eating, the baby started having a dance party in my belly - a sure sign of his approval.

One thing about eating locally these last two days: it has kept me feeling good, but it has also kept me feeling hungry. I can't seem to get enough food at any meal to last till the next. Snacks are a necessity, and lots of them. It can be tough to keep up with, but so far so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment