Monday, September 17, 2012

Pride Goes Before the Fall

When I woke up last Wednesday morning, I felt fine. I ate a breakfast of pears, almonds, milk, and a little maple syrup. I got in the car to made my 30 minute commute to work.

Halfway there, I started to feel a little funny. By the time I arrived, I was feeling really weird. I lasted about 10 minutes before my breakfast came up. Throwing-up at work is not something I am used to;  even during my first trimester I never once threw up. This was definitely not pregnancy related, since (how do I put this delicately?) I was having trouble at the other end of my digestive tract as well....

So, I got in my car, had a wretched drive home, and spent the rest of the day on the couch. This episode was especially weird since I had had a very similar experience two weeks earlier, just before the eat local challenge started. Apparently there is a stomach flu going around, and though I'm not usually one to be susceptible to such things, being pregnant does nothing for my immune system.

The baby is fine, that's what matters, right? I couldn't help but feel a little jealous of him - so safe and secure in his cocoon while I felt all kinds of bad. The eat local challenge was the first thing to go. I ate whatever I could stomach - crackers, juice, etc.

I was feeling better the next day, but eating 100% local still wasn't quite possible since we were scheduled to leave town for the weekend for my cousin's wedding on Friday. The need to work, pack, pick up dry cleaning, buy pet food, get a wedding present, drop the dog off at he kennel, plus the exhaustion and weakness of my post-sickness meant that convenience won the day. Breakfast on Thursday and Friday was oatmeal at work (I just couldn't stomach any pears), lunch was whatever was quick and easy, dinner on Thursday was Chinese food (no local involved), and on Friday we ate at Monty's Blue Plate Diner on our way out of town.

I made it through the weekend eating a semi-local diet. We were in Green Lake, Wisconsin - a little touristy town near a beautiful Wisconsin lake. We rented a little house with my siblings and their wives, and found a local food store that sold the Wisconsin basics - cheese, meat, milk, and even some grains. I brought eggs from home for breakfast. I did overindulge a bit, especially when it came to refined sugar, but it was almost unavoidable (at least that's what I told myself). It's funny how once I give in to sugar it's almost impossible to stop. For me it seems to be either all or nothing.

We arrived home on Sunday afternoon, and made a nice local dinner - CSA pork chops, steamed broccoli, and corn bread using a mix that I had purchased in Green Lake (locally grown corn and whole wheat flour!). Today (my day off) I did my best with the limited groceries we have at home: pears with yogurt and almonds for breakfast, leftover corn bread and a hard boiled egg for lunch, roasted sweet potato with bacon, walnuts, Parmesan, and thyme for dinner.

I'm back on the wagon again, and ready to return to the good health I was feeling before I got sick!


No comments:

Post a Comment