Sunday, September 9, 2012

Fall is in the Air

Another Sunday evening... the weeks are just flying by. Hard to believe that tomorrow I will be 26 weeks pregnant and only one week away from my third trimester. The idea that there will soon be a little tiny baby in the house is becoming more and more real, although when I try to imagine him curled up inside my belly, I still can't quite picture it. There's definitely something in there, but a tiny human? Really? If he was born right now, he would probably survive. Crazy.

Anyway, the local eating has gone moderately well this weekend. I have to say that I am enjoying this more relaxed challenge. In the past, I looked down my nose at people who took their challenge less that 100% seriously, but this year I'm totally one of those people, and it's kind of nice!

Saturday was an early work day for me. I had the usual breakfast before going in to work at 6am. I'm not sure what I'll do when my peach stash is gone. I ate through all the Door County peaches I had saved, and now I'm working on a large bag of peaches that my Mom gave me from the family community garden plot on Main Street. Once those are gone, the fruit selection will be down to just apples and pears.

Lunch at work was microwaved leftover lasagna. I had a big container of milk on my way home at 2pm, and also an apple with peanut butter (I'm not ashamed to say that I'm totally milking my nut exception). Dinner was garden potatoes boiled and then fried up with three eggs and some cottage bacon from Willow Creek Farm. Simple, but very satisfying.

Saturday night I took advantage of my exception for food that's already in my pantry by indulging in a cup of hot chocolate made with chocolate from our trip to Oaxaca, Mexico last March. It's been way too hot outside to drink hot chocolate this summer, but we've recently had some delightfully chilly weather that made it seem like the perfect thing.

Breakfast today was a bit of a cheat, but not bad. Sundays are a day off for both Stanley and I, so we went with Elwood to a new local bakery/restaurant: 4 & 20 (named after the nursery rhyme). It was my first time there and I had heard a lot of really good things, so I was excited to try it out. I had a breakfast sandwich with egg (local), house cured bacon (local), and green zebra tomato (also local), on a decidedly not local but extremely delicious biscuit. Ah, the joys of white flour!

Lunch was the last of the lasagna. Mid afternoon snack was an apple. I worked all afternoon in the garden moving my perennials around, but surprisingly I didn't feel famished afterward like you might expect. Funny how I seem to get way more hungry when working at a desk than I do when I'm physically active.

Stanley made an awesome local chili for dinner: beef, garden tomato sauce, garden peppers and onions,  sweet corn, and leftover locally grown baked beans from our wedding (frozen since last October!). So satisfying on a chilly September evening.

I started knitting my first baby item tonight - a hat made from local alpaca yarn that I picked up at the North Side Farmer's Market .... at $18 a skein, it was a real splurge, but what the hell? My December baby will need some warmth and what better way to keep him warm and toasty? He deserved it.


No comments:

Post a Comment