Friday, September 7, 2012

I'm Getting Better at This

Yep, I'm getting the hang of this now. The trick is staying ahead of the hunger.

I remember reading somewhere that when your blood sugar gets low you regress to baby mode - I need food and I need it now - it doesn't matter if it's local or not, I eat whatever is easy and fast.

If I can stay ahead of that hunger and plan ahead, I'm just fine. In fact, I feel great. It's not always easy while working 40 hours and living a busy life, but it is possible.

Breakfasts have been the same: peaches, milk, slivered almonds.

I worked early yesterday, so I opted to eat a snack mid-morning (three apples, some aged Gouda, and milk) and then when I got home in the early afternoon I boiled up a bunch of potatoes and had them with a fresh garden tomato and butter. For dinner I made a ton of lasagna (a perfect leftover to have around!): noodles (already in the pantry), tomato sauce from the garden, pork sausage, cheese, kale, basil, summer squash, Italian frying peppers. Perfect.

Today's lunch at work was a microwaved sweet potato with butter, handful of pecans, and milk. I'm not a huge fan of the microwave, in fact I've never lived with one at home, but it did come in handy today! Dinner was steak, mashed potatoes, and a mess of green beans from the garden.

In baby news, I went to a friend's house this afternoon and got a ton of baby stuff from her, some of it gifted, some sold. She had her baby last year in November, so the timing couldn't have been better. Clothes, a co-sleeper, a bathtub, and a bunch of other handy stuff. The number of things that have been passed on from friends, family, and coworkers, has been overwhelming. Baby stuff, maternity clothes - I've really had to buy very little. What a wonderful thing, and so nice to know that these things are being recycled and that I'll be able to pass them on when I am done.

No comments:

Post a Comment